How to Install
- Download OpenVPN Windows installer, visit the OpenVPN downloads page here.
Note: To identify whether your windows is running 32-bit or 64-bit.
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
- Type system in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
- Tap or click System.
- If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows 8, 64-bit Operating System is displayed in the System type field under the System heading. If you are running a 32-bit version of Windows 8, 32-bit Operating System is displayed in the System type field under the System heading.
- Start installer and click Next
- The OpenVPN license agreement and terms appear. Click I agree to continue.
- The component selection dialog appears. Leave all components checked with their default settings and click Next button again.
- Select your destination folder and click “Install“.
- When the installation is complete click “Next“.
- The wizard will notify you of the completion of the installation and prompt you to click “Finish” button when its done.
- Download the VPNReactor Windows configuration Zip.
- Extract the files from the configuration ZIP into the config folder in the OpenVPN destination folder referenced in step 5. By default, it will be “C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config“.
- Right click on the OpenVPN icon on your desktop and select Properties.Click the compatibility tab and check “Run this program as administrator” then click the apply and ok button.
Congratulations! You have finished setting up OpenVPN on your Windows 8 OS. If you have questions do not hesitate to create a new post on our support forum.
Note: If it still doesn’t work. Make sure that “RAS Connection Manager” is enabled.
Steps to enable
- Go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features.
- Click Turn Windows features on or off.
- Turn On “RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK)“.
- Tap or press OK.
- Close “Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features window“.
- Then make sure that you are using “route-method exe” on your OpenVPN configuration file.
How to Connect
- Find the OpenVPN GUI icon on your desktop and double-click it to launch OpenVPN.
- In the taskbar tray, right click on the OpenVPN GUI icon.
- Find the site to connect to from the menu, and choose Connect from the site’s submenu.
- Enter your Login and Password when prompted and click OK.
- The OpenVPN GUI icon in the tray will turn green once the secure connection is established.