Before You Get Started…
Installation of VPNReactor requires administrative privileges on your computer. If you don’t already have administrative access on your computer, this may be provided by your IT department.
If you have installation questions or need to reach Golden Frog technical support, please complete our support form.
Install the Network Manager PPTP plug-in
- Go to the System menu in the taskbar, expand the Administration menu and click on Synaptic Package Manager.
- In the search box, enter “pptp” and hit enter.
- Click the box next to “network-manager-pptp” and select Mark for installation. If the network-manager-pptp is already installed (the check box will be gray), exit the Synaptic Package Manager and proceed to VPN setup instructions below.
- The system may prompt you to install additional necessary components. Click on the Mark button to select the additional components.
- Click the green check mark in the toolbar to apply all selected changes and install the PPTP plug in.
- When prompted to apply the changes, click the Apply button.
- Close the Synaptic Package Manager
- Expand the System menu and click on Network Connections to open the Network Connections control panel
- Click on the VPN tab. If the Add button on the VPN tab is grayed out, follow the instructions above to install the PPTP plug-in.
- Click the Add button to add a new VPN configuration.
- When prompted to choose a VPN connection type, choose Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) and click the Create button.
- In the Connection name: textbox, enter “VPNReactor (PPTP)“
- In the Gateway field enter your server hostname.
CLICK HERE FOR SERVER LOCATIONS
Setup the PPTP connection
- In the User name: textbox, enter your login.
- In the Password: textbox, enter your password.
- Click the Advanced button to bring up an additional settings dialog.
- Check the Use Point-to-Point encryption (MPPE) box.
- Click the OK button.
- Click the Apply button (you may be prompted to enter your password to store the configuration securely)
- Restart Network Manager (The best way we have found to restart Network Manager is to open a terminal and type “sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart“. This will disconnect all of your network connections)
Establish a secure connection
- In the taskbar, click on the Network Manager applet (looks like two block monitors, one in front of the other) to bring up the connection menu
- Expand VPN Connections and select VPNReactor (PPTP).