Before you begin…
This tutorial assumes that you already have DD-WRT successfully installed on your router.
Otherwise, visit DD-WRT website for setup instructions.
Cisco Linksys – E3000, E3200, E4200, E4500
D-Link – DIR-632, DIR-825
Netgear – WNR3500, WNDR3700
1. Please confirm that DD-WRT is supported on your router. Type the make and model of your router (e.g., Netgear WNR3500, D-link DIR-632, etc.) in the search field of the DD-WRT Router Database and hit ENTER.
2. To install DD-WRT using L2TP/IPSec, follow the step-by-step instructions provided HERE.
3. Once DD-WRT is installed successfully, connect your computer to the router wirelessly or via ethernet cable.
4. Type the router’s local IP address into your browser’s URL bar and login into your router. By default, this is typically 192.168.1.1. (If you specified a different local IP address, please use that IP address).
6. Configure ‘Setup’ -> ‘Basic Setup’ as follows:
- Connection Type: L2TP
- Username: (Shall be provided by VPNReactor)
- Password: (Shall be provided by VPNReactor)
- Gateway (L2TP Server):
(Enter one of VPNReactor server addresses):
CLICK HERE FOR SERVER LOCATIONS
- Connection Strategy: Keep Alive for 30 seconds Radial Period
- STP: Disable
- MTU: Change to Manual and set to 1460 as value.
- Local IP Address: 192.168.1.1 (If you specified a different local IP address, please use that IP address).
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
- DHCP Type: DHCP Server
- DHCP Server: Enable
- Uncheck ‘Use DNSMasq for DNCP’, ‘Use DNSMasq for DNS’ and ‘DHCP-Authoritative’.
8. Go to ‘Security’ -> ‘VPN Passthrough’ and make sure L2TP and IPSec Passthrough were enabled. Then, click ‘Apply Settings’.
9. Once you are done with the router’s settings, go to ‘Administration’ tab. Scroll to the bottom and click ‘Reboot Router’.
10. HOORAY! You are now ready to use VPNReactor using the L2TP Protocol to encrypt your entire network and any connected devices using your DD-WRT router.
For questions, contact VPNReactor Support. We are glad to serve you!